President Barack Obama, through the Department of Justice (DOJ) established the “President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing” in December 2014 to identify best practices and offer recommendations on how policing practices can promote effective crime reduction while building public trust.
- The task force submitted its final report to the President in May 2015 with specific recommendations and action items informed by experts and practitioners in the field.
- A subsequent implementation guide was also released in October 2015 as a companion to the task force report to provide guidance on implementing the task force's 59 recommendations and 92 action items.
We have incorporated these best practice recommendations as well as other standards around community policing.
0= Does Not Meet Recommendation
Law Enforcement Entity does not have documented policies and/or procedures that support this recommendation
1= Partially Meets Recommendation
Law Enforcement Entity has documented policies and/or Procedures that partially support this recommendation
2= Meets Recommendation
Law Enforcement Entity has documented policies and/or procedures that support this recommendation
3= Exceeds Recommendation
Law Enforcement Entity has documented policies and/or procedures that support this recommendation. Entity is also a thought leader and/or has demonstrated practices that exceed the best practice baseline.
Laurel Police Department
- Initiate and/or document policies around regular evaluation of officers on their efforts to engagement/ partnership with members of the community
- Increase frequency of updates for the information about stops, arrests, reported crime, and other law enforcement data on website
- Aggregate law enforcement data on department’s website by demographics
- Initiate and/or document Resident Officer Programs to encourage law enforcement officials to live where they police
- Initiate or document committees focused on diversity so that Law Enforcement reflects the community demographic
- Initiate and/ or document policies around the use of external and independent prosecutors in cases of police use of force resulting in death, officer-involved shootings resulting in injury or death, or in-custody deaths
- Initiate and/or document evidence of collaboration efforts with schools to encourage the creation of alternatives to student suspensions and expulsion through restorative justice, diversion, counseling, and family interventions in order to keep youth in school and to keep them from criminal and violent behavior